I always kind of expected burnout to come with a red flashing light and warning sirens, that told me “Woah Bex, it’s time to calm down…” but life isn’t really like that is it? I was surprised to find that my burnout manifested itself in a culmination of signs and symptoms, most of which I’d ignored or put down to something else.
In my latest episode, I discuss the hidden warning signs of burnout that I only really recognised in hindsight. Perhaps you’ll recognise some of these in yourself, too. However, these are only ones that I have experienced and is, by no means, an exhaustive list. Briefly, they are:
- Dropping the Ball
- Feeling Guilty
- Getting Snappy
- Not Being Able to Sit Still
- Isolating Yourself
- Not Looking After Yourself
- Feeling Like a Failure
- Trash Talking Yourself
- Experiencing Pessimism and Detachment
- Lack of Inspiration
- Getting Addicted
- Physical Illnesses
If you listen to the podcast, I explain each of these in more detail. As usual, I’ve included some useful resources (including more signs and symptoms) down below.
It’s important, however, that we spend some time being mindful and reflective of these signs of burnout. In my next episode, I go through 12 ways we can try to stop burnout in its tracks. For now, make a note of the symptoms you experience and try to check in with yourself and your feelings. Do this for a couple of days before moving onto the next part.
Finally, just a reminder that if you are experiencing lots of signs of chronic stress, please do try and talk to somebody you trust or a medical professional. You can also join the free, private Facebook group which opens its doors on the 10th August. This will be a positive and supportive community, where we can all discuss our own burnout stories or worries. Just click here and request to join.
More Signs and Symptoms of Burnout
Elephant Journal: 12 Hidden Warning Signs that we’re about to Burn Out (this is my article version of the podcast, if you don’t have time to listen to it right now).
- My Podcast – which is available on Apple Podcasts and Spotify – is the best way to get involved. Here I’ll talk about everything I’ve learnt and bring in some special guests who are experts in their field. Make sure you subscribe to be notified when new episodes go up.
- The Anti-Burnout Club page on my site will be filled with my articles on the topic, so pop it in your bookmarks.
- My Instagram is full of self-love and self-care tips and advice, along with stories of me chatting away about things I’ve discovered that day. Please do give it a follow to fill your feed with inspiration.
- My Facebook page shares that same self-love, but also articles I find on topics that will help you thrive. Give the page a like to learn along with me.
- My Facebook group is brand new, but is a safe hub for people to talk about their own experiences of burnout, give and receive advice, and learn so much along the way.
- My YouTube which has video versions of the podcast which should also be more accessible with closed captions (even if they do call me Bex Biller!)
- You can also email me at any time: ABC@BexSpiller.com